Tuesday, January 8th, 2008
The day after Christmas, I found myself wandering in our local grocery store looking for something -- I can't remember what it was, but it was likely milk, because oh sweet niblets my kid loves her milk -- and I passed a huge display of Valentine's Day cards. The year wasn't even over yet, the Christmas turkey hadn't even had time to cool, and Valentine's Day cards were already on the shelves. 'How ridiculous,' I thought. 'How insane,' I mused.
'How it's time for another postcard swap!' I exclaimed. (Well, I exclaimed in my head. Saying that out loud would've been sort of weird.)
To refresh your memory of how this works: you send me an e-mail with your snail mail address, and I'll divide everyone up into groups of about 10-12, and e-mail you back with the mailing addresses of other participants. Then you create your handmade cards, using whatever you'd like (last time we had postcards, cards made from photographs, knitted and crocheted cards, sewn cards, cards that were blank but just had a favourite verse or poem written on them or just said hi -- the possibilities are endless). Then on or about Tuesday, February 12th, just in time for Valentine's Day, we'll all mail our cards to the addresses we received on our list. Last time we had about 70 participants from all over the world, and it was great to go to my mailbox and find, nestled among the bills and junk mail, small pieces of special art just waiting to be enjoyed.
So, are you in? Sure you are! Just e-me your address (chookooloonksATgmailDOTcom) with your mailing address, and 'Postcard Swap 2008: The Love Edition' in the subject line. The theme this time around will be 'love,' of course -- but it doesn't have to be romantic love: it can be friendship, love of life, love of all humankind, whatever. You don't have to have a blog, or be a professional artist, or even speak English as a first language -- I know we'd all love to hear from you. And while your address needs to be real, if you'd rather use a pseudonym or a fake name or nickname, just let me know.
And in case you need some more convincing, the following are the top 5 reasons why participating in this would be a good thing:
5. If you're not currently in a relationship and you usually dread not receiving anything on Valentine's Day -- not this year, baby!
4. If you ARE in a relationship, but your partner is a bit ... neglectful, maybe? ... when it comes to remembering gifts for Valentine's Day, at least you'll have something in your mailbox to cheer you up -- and help remind your partner to run out and get you that fabulous gift!
3. If you've been trying to attract the attention of a special someone, just think of the expression on his/her face when s/he sees you opening Valentine's cards from around the world -- if you're that popular, clearly s/he should be giving you a second look...
2. Do you have one of those annoying people in your office who is always showing off extravagant bouquets of flowers on Valentine's Day from her wealthy boyfriend? It's time to turn the tides, and watch her enviously eye your inbox as it starts to fill up with international cards wishing you love and peace.
And finally, and most importantly, the Number 1 Reason You Should Participate in the Postcard Swap 2008, The Love Edition:
1. Because everyone should receive a little love note in the mail every once in a while.
Looking forward to receiving your e-mails. I'll keep accepting addresses until, say, my post for Wednesday, January 16th goes live. So don't delay!